Saturday 6 April 2013

Welcome to Effective Social Media Communication :: Spring 2013


We’re glad to be getting started with this course. You may find it a challenge (there's lots to read, watch and interact with), but it will also be fun.

Please send me your preferred e-mail address so that I may add you as an author on the class blog. This is important for activities and reflection. It can also be a great way to contribute to discussions and participate.


Image from CrossLang.
***Active class participation is central to our work together.***

Here are a few suggestions about how to participate in the discussion. Remember to keep up with the discussion every couple of days or so. Keep your contributions short and exploratory. Try to respond to what others have already said, if you can. And try to ground your comments and ideas in the readings (or videos or Pins etc...) whenever possible.

Each week a new topic area will appear on the Monday. You can begin discussing things right away on Monday morning - actually it's Sunday midnight if you're inclined to be up at night.


Please always feel free to send any comments or queries to me.



Course Activities & Participation
While general interest courses such as this one are not graded, students should recognize that active engagement and participation in the class is essential to getting the most out of the course.

Records in General Interest Courses
Faculty of Extension general interest courses (those with the prefix EXGEN) are non-graded and will appear on the transcript as “non-graded.” >Letters of Completion
Please note: Letters of completion will not be automatically produced for this course. Students who wish to request a letter of completion may contact jsauter@ualberta.ca or by phone 780-492-3093.

7 comments:

  1. Just testing the April 2013 ESMC blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a bit to kick off some blog discussion (hopefully).

    I thought this course would be useful to me for three reasons:
    - my wife publishes novels through Amazon, so I might pick up some tips to help her out.
    - I work as a statistician for the U of A, so understanding social media could be useful from that point of view (e.g. mining social media, big data, that sort of thing.
    - the subject is intrinsically interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can jump on the discussion bandwagon Dale has started.
    I'm taking this course, also for a few reasons.
    1 - I think it is necessary in life to continue learning
    2 - I am the Communications Coordinator for a rural municipality, and my prime focus is Social Media. Every time I take a new webinar, seminar or read a new book, I learn a new/better way of getting my message across.
    3 - I believe I'm part of Generation Y - the generation that is apparently driving the social media engine. It's always interesting to hear what others think of "my generation".
    4 - As a former journalist, I like to see what is slowly killing print media. I also like watching what effect "citizen journalists" have on the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never considered myself a slow learner, but apparently I am...as I only now found these comments......
    That being said, I chose to take this course as I like to learn new things and am considering travel writing as a semi-retirement project (when I decide to retire). I also needed credits to maintain my professional credentials in supply chain management.
    This course looked like it would be very interesting and would help me get up to speed with the communications in the world today. So far I am not disappointed as it has been very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ESMC! I thought it would be helpful to follow along with what Dale started even though we are into week 2. The reasons I dusted off my student id card are:

    1. My kids will be in school full time before I know it, and I have to learn to use my brain again
    2. My husband is a partner is a growing business that really has no business plan as of yet to capitalize on social media
    3. As a former political science major and Gen X-er I am fascinated by what social media means to our world and our relationships

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ESMC!
    I am doing this social medai course for the following three reasons:
    1) As freelance journalist, I would like to widen my reach and accebility. And what better way to cast my net wide? Social Media is the answer to all these days.
    2) I am managing a project tha seeks to promote leadership and empowerment among girls and young women of the South Asian and Middle Eastern heritage here in Edmonton. Well, the best way to connect with Gen Y is social media. Although I am familair with most social media tools and use them quite often, I want to learn to use them more professionally to tap into the net-savvy Gen Y.
    3) I, specifically, want to understand Twitter and learn the usage of #. I want to know its function and learn how is it differnt from other Twitter functions.

    ReplyDelete